The Chair’s Committee normally meets 10 days prior to the regular Board Meeting and has the following responsibilities, as outlined in Section 3:01 of the York Region District School Board Operational By-Laws.
- to instruct the Board's counsel or solicitors to take such action as is deemed advisable and expedient in the conduct of any litigation or other matter pending the next meeting of the Board;
- to prepare with the appropriate members of staff the agenda for meetings of the Board and its Standing Committee and to designate the appropriate time for stated hours on the agenda;
- to refer matters directly to the Board's Committees or to staff and to report such matters to the Board;
- to designate matters to be approved or to be received as routine on the agenda for Board meetings;
- to recommend to the Board the disposition of confidential matters regarding staff and students;
- to recommend to the Board the disposition of such matters as may have come before the Chair’s Committee;
- to recommend to the Board the trustee membership of all Board Committees at the December Board Meeting;
- to make recommendations to the Board relating to trustee honoraria and expenses;
- to consider and respond to requests for delegation, on behalf of the Board, as outlined in Section 4:01 to 4:01:09 of the York Region District School Board Operational By-Laws;
- to recommend to the Board any proposed revisions to the Board’s Official By-Laws, in accordance with Section f:06;
- to recommend to the Board the Chair of any Committee not filled under any other section of the By Law;
- to ensure that the objectives and performance of the Director of Education are reviewed annually within the context of goals outlined in the Board’s Multi-Year Plan; and
- to ensure that the salary of the Director of Education is reviewed annually
For further information on Chair’s Committee meetings, please contact Board and Trustee Services, extension 2327.