What is the High Performance Athlete (HPA) Program?
A specialized, cooperative education program, for students who are competing at the provincial, national and/or international level. In HPA, students practice and demonstrate, through a cooperative education program, the knowledge and skills acquired in the classroom, to their training/competition setting.
The HPA program is made up of:
- the HPA cooperative education course; and
- a subject-related course.
HPA co-op is the same as any other curriculum course:
- it is taken for either a semester/full year; for 1 period, 2 periods (half day); or 4 periods (full day);
- it has curriculum expectations;
- work is assessed by the Co-op teacher and the placement supervisor (in this case the coach or trainer);
- it meets the requirements for an OSSD and/or SHSM diploma
Who is it for?
HPA is co-op programming tailored to meet the learning needs of students who are committed to focusing on their long term career objectives while accommodating competitive training needs. Criteria for consideration/acceptance into HPA programming is based upon:
- the # of hours committed to training;
- the learning needs of the student;
- level of competition;
- training season;
- completed application process; and
- a program readiness assessment.
- Coaches Reference Form
Students and their parent/guardians must commit to the protocols set out in the HPA Protocol Agreement
What are the benefits of HPA programming?
HPA programming provides students with an opportunity to:
- access individually tailored Co-op courses
- earn credits towards their OSSD while training and competing.
- Thornhill S.S.
- Stouffville District S.S.
- Newmarket H.S
- Markham District H.S.
- Markville S.S.
- Richmond Green S.S
- Sir William Mulock S.S.
- King City S.S.
- Bill Crothers S.S.
- Dr. G.W. Williams S.S.
Who do I see in the school for more information about the HPA program?
See the Community-Based Education Head or Guidance/Career Education Head in your school.
- Cooperative Education and Other Forms of Experiential Learning
- YRDSB Cooperative Education Brochure
- Career Cruising