Raising the Bar, Closing the Gap, Literacy Focus embedded in all we do!
Building Lateral Capacity and Pathways to Success
School Plan for Continuous Improvement
Persistence, Passion, Patience, People
( 2 nd year of implementation of our 3 year plan)
Literacy involves the development of a continuum of skills, knowledge and attitudes that prepare all of our learners for life in a changing world community. It begins with the fundamental acquisition of skills in reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing, representing and responding. It becomes the ability to understand, think, apply and communicate effectively in all subject and program areas in a variety of ways for a variety of purposes.
Priority: Curriculum Implementation and Student Learning Priority
3-Year Priority: Improvement of student literacy has been selected for particular attention. Data from a variety of sources will be gathered and analyzed to determine the impact on student achievement. To improve writing and reading skills across subject areas
Performance Target: In the reading and writing strand of Language, most students will, as demonstrated by the grade on their third term report, show improvement relative to the first term report and demonstrate achievement at or above the Provincial standard: 80% of students in grades 3 and 6 will perform at level 3 and above in 2007/8EQAO tests
Key Focus: Literacy
- Increase consistent assessment practice among staff
- Improve teacher capacity in strategies in reading and writing strand
- Collaborative examination of student work promotes consistent assessment practice and further informs effective instruction
- Using student data to drive instruction (DRA, Benchmark scores, report cards, EQAO, on going class Assessment)
Priority: Parental and Community Involvement 3-Year Priority: Enhance student learning through family involvement i.e. increase parent knowledge of curriculum and parenting skills through presentations and speaker series
Performance Target: 70% parents involved and/or aware of school SPCI initiatives
Key Focus: Learning Community
- Enhance student learning through family involvement i.e. increase parent knowledge of curriculum and parenting skills through, the development of a Parenting Library in the school, presentations and a speaker series on educational issues
- To increase the opportunity for the involvement of students, parents, community members and staff in the development of a more inclusive and caring environment
- Promote health and a safe life style
- Encouraging parent engagement in supporting students in the areas of reading and writing through daily homework (workshops and presentations)
- Use the Dr. Epstein 6 levels of parent engage as target for our school
Priority: Improving Effective School: School Climate through Student ownership of their learning
3-Year Priority: Students will demonstrate increased responsibility for their own learning, to provide a variety opportunities and programs for students to develop and display leadership skills and celebrate their successes
Performance Target: Students assess their knowledge, skills, behaviours and attitudes, set goals for their learning, and create portfolios to help facilitate communication about their learning through Student Led Conferences and self-advocates. 70% of students will become involved in school teams and activities
Key Focus: Foster a Culture of Student Ownership for LearningOrganize awards assemblies to celebrate student success (Winit) Students will demonstrate increased responsibility for their own learning Teachers will help students assess their knowledge, skills, behaviours and attitudes, set goals for their learning, and create portfolios to help facilitate communication about their learning through Student Led Conferences and the development of self-advocacy skills Arrange for students to assume responsibility for activities such as announcements, distributing material to classes, monitoring halls, buddies, lunch monitors.
Our focus will be on promoting Character Education, which will assist us in achieving these goals.