Understanding an Electronic Application
The Board’s on-line application system is a content/data-driven system. As such, formatting and other special design features will not be maintained when copying and pasting your résumé and cover letter into the application. Keep in mind that applications are reviewed based on experience and skills, not visual appeal.
This on-line application is also a “real time” application, which means it cannot be partially prepared and then revisited at a later time to complete. Applicants are therefore encouraged to print a sample of the on-line application questions and prepare their responses and attachments prior to applying. If it is necessary to disengage from the on-line application, please remember to re-apply.
- If applying to a teaching position, faculty students are strongly encouraged to wait until after our Board visits your faculty. There is no advantage to applying earlier. Faculty students are encouraged to submit their on-line application by the end of February, however we will continue to accept on-line applications throughout the year.
- Select the appropriate career opportunity.
- Print a sample of the on-line application and questions.
- Prepare your responses.
- Complete the cover letter and résumé in MSWord or any other word processing software application (moderate spacing; plain text; limited use of tabs, bullets and numbering).
- Complete Spell Check.
- Reactivate the on-line application.
- Copy and paste cover letter and résumé from MSWord into the on-line application. Please note that formatting, fonts and spacing will look different to you; they are received at our end in a readable format.
- If you are using a MAC system, the keystrokes for cut and paste are the same as for Windows — Control ‘c’ for cut and Control ‘v’ for paste. For other word processing software, please use the ‘cut’ and ‘paste’ keyboard functions available for that system.
- At the end of the application there is an opportunity to include two (2) file attachments. Unless otherwise instructed as to the nature of the attachments, applicants may choose to include a formatted version of their résumé and cover letter or any other files relevant to the application.
- The Board is able to view attachments in any of the following file formats: doc, pdf, gif, jpeg, rtf, or txt.
- Ensure your personal e-mail address is correct for future communication purposes.
- Save your résumé and cover letter in the event of future applications or for clarification.
- Applicants will receive an e-mail acknowledgement response from the York Region District School Board once your application has been successfully submitted.