Dual Credit courses are for Grade 11 & 12 students. As well, SHSM and OYAP students may receive some industry-specific certifications in Dual Credit courses.
As ministry-approved courses, Dual Credits allow students (while they are still in secondary school), to take college or apprenticeship courses that count towards both the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and a postsecondary certificate, diploma, or degree, or an apprenticeship certification.
Students may earn credits towards the OSSD through courses delivered by publicly funded colleges in Ontario that are participating in the ministry-approved dual credit program. Students may earn up to four optional credits through college-delivered courses.
The York Region District School Board, in partnership with the following colleges is offering college-delivered dual credit courses:
- Centennial College
- Fleming College
- Georgian College
- Seneca College
- George Brown College
- Humber College
Students benefit from Dual Credit courses by:
- earning more high school credits
- earning high school credits AND college credits at the same time in the same course
- experiencing college while still in high school at no cost to the student
- learning in college state-of-the-art facilities
- test-driving career pathways
- exploring different pathway options
- trying something new
RegistrationStudents need to:
- Pre-select Dual Credit course(s) on Career Cruising and/or speak with their home-school guidance counselor.
- Ensure that they have a flexible timetable to accommodate the dual credit course(s):
- by enrolling in a half or full-day co-op or consulting with their guidance counselor
- by enrolling in a full-day, second semester co-op if they are Accelerated OYAP students
- Ministry Dual Information
- 2012-13 Dual Credit Course Chart
- 2012-13 Course Descriptions
- Dual Credit Handbook
- Dual Credit Flyer
- Dual Credit Application
- Accelerated OYAP