The annual budget for the York Region District School Board is $1,213,172,000; comprised of $1,117,779,000 for operating expenditures, and $95,393,000 allocated for capital expenditures. One new elementary school opened in September 2013. Three new elementary schools and one new secondary school are scheduled to open next year.
Development of the budget is an ongoing process reflecting decisions made throughout the year and includes Board priorities and direction as established by the Trustees’ Multi-Year Plan and the Director’s Annual Plan
Our Board continues to actively solicit the participation of many interested groups in the budget process. Input was received from a variety of sources, including presentations from the Special Education Advisory Committee, Equity and Inclusivity Advisory Committee, York Region – Ontario Principal’s Council and York Region Managers’ Council.
The following are the highlights of the many priorities that continue to be addressed in the 2013-2014 budget:
- A focus on student achievement
- Funding directed to mental health issues
- Teacher training on the effective use of technology
- Special education
- Support for new teachers and school administrators.
The following charts reflect the allocation of the Board's budgeted revenues and expenditures:
Ministry of Education Funding Commitments
The Ministry of Education’s Grants for Student Needs (GSN) included adjustments to reflect unpaid days for individual employee groups, a reduction in benefits to reflect the phasing out of retirement gratuities, specifics on salary grid movement and significant details on changes to employee sick leave plans.
Additional funds were provided for occasional teachers to support changes to sick leave plans.
Benchmark AdjustmentsUpdated February 2014
- Increase to the supply teacher benchmark to support changes to the sick leave plan
- Increased funding for utilities and insurance expenses
- Increased funding for student transportation to recognize increased operating costs.